Cards get knocked out at the first hurdle. 6th December 2017

 In Recent, WOKING FC

6th  DECEMBER 2017

                          WOKING   1    CHIPSTEAD   3

                              Surrey Senior Cup 1st Round Tuesday 6th December 2017

                                 Peter Moore at The Laithwaite Stadium

The Cards grip on the Surrey Senior Cup was ended after 90 minutes at the Laithwaite Community Stadium, after strikes from Jeremy Boakye, Ollie Twum and a late Leon lalor-Dell ensured the visitors went into the hat for tomorrows draw. Jamie Philpot gave the Cards brief hope by pulling a goal back, only for Lalor-Dell’s stunning strike three minutes from time guaranteed Chipstead’s name in the second round.

The current holders of the Surrey Senior Cup Woking, went into tonight’s defence of their trophy with a side comprising of Youth and a few experienced heads in the shape of first team regulars Matt Young, Richard Orlu, Josh Staunton and Jamie Philpot.

The BostiK League South side opened the scoring in the 17th minute when the ball fell to Jeremy Boakye, who slotted the ball past Sam Mason. The current holders went close seven minutes later when a cross into the area found Fabio Saraiva, with a glancing header that went narrowly wide. Woking kept pressing for an equaliser with Orlu sending a long ball over the top which Philpot raced on to, only to shoot into the side netting.  The Bostik League South side doubled their lead in the 41st minute following a cross from Erivaldo Felix into the six yard box where Ollie Twum was on hand to flick the ball past Mason to leave the holders at half time facing an early elimination from this seasons competition.

The hosts started on the front foot after the restart and were rewarded in the 53rd minute when Marco Correia’s shot came off the post, with the ball rebounding to Philpot who slotted home. Jason Banton- who hasn’t featured for the Cards since October- entered the fray in the 57th minute as the hosts pushed forward for an equaliser. Banton almost grabbed that equaliser after wriggling past two men in the area and sending a fierce shot just over the top.  The visitors booked their passage into the second round following a breakaway from Leon Lalor-Dell who finished of a fine run by sending an unstoppable curling shot into the top left-hand corner of the net from 25 yards out as the Cards fell at the first hurdle in defence of the Surrey Senior Cup.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.