Cards survive late Rovers fightback to book place in next round of Cup.7thOct.2018

 In Recent, WOKING FC

 6th OCTOBER 2018

                               WOKING     3      KEMPSTON ROVERS   2

                           Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

                                Saturday 6th October 2018

                                     Attendance: 944

                              Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Woking survived a late comeback from Kempston Rovers to progress to the next round of the FA Cup qualifying round at a drenched Laithwaite Community Stadium on Saturday.

After an Ian Gayle effort and a brace from Jake Hyde had given the Cards a 3-0 lead at the break, the tie looked dead and gone for the visitors, but late strikes from Josh Crawley and Shane Bush set up a frantic finish.

Woking went into today’s game looking to progress into the next round of the competition at the expense of their visitors, who currently find themselves sitting in 15th place in the Evo- Stick South Division One Central League- Two divisions below Woking.  The Walnut Boys came to Surrey on the back of a good run of form, having won their last four matches, which have all been in cup competitions.

Woking made four changes to the side that drew with Torquay at Plainmore last weekend. Kiran Khinda-John, Paul Hodges along with new loan signings Charles Hester-Cook and Jamar Loza made the starting line up for the Cards.

On a horrible day for both playing and watching football, with heavy rain falling throughout the game, Woking had the lions share of the early pressure with Loza cutting inside the area and shooting over.  The visitors best chance fell to Alex Collard who blazed over from inside the area following a free kick.

Max Kretzchmar’s curling shot was then clawed away for a corner with the resulting corner finding Jake Hyde inside the area, his shot was cleared of the line by a Rovers defender.

The deadlock was broken in the 38th minute following a Woking corner, there was Ian Gayle to get the final touch. The Cards doubled their advantage five minutes later following good work from Loza down the left-hand side, his shot was looking to be going in, but Hyde was on hand to apply the finishing touch. The Cards grabbed their third of the half right on the stroke of half time when Loza burst down the left to square the ball back to an unmarked Hyde for a simple tap in.

Woking started the second half how they ended the first with Hyde a whisker away from a hat trick after seeing his effort go over the bar. With Woking cruising into the next round, Kempston Joint Managers Jimmy Stayles and Gary Flinn bought on Josh Crawley and Shane Bush to try and get themselves back into the game, and the game changers worked. In the 61st minute Josh Crawley sent a dipping shot into the top corner. That goal gave Kempston the belief to get back into the game. In the 74th minute the visitors made it 3-2 when Bush’s shot flew into the top corner to set up a tense finish for the home side. With the hosts holding in, Kempston threw everything at the Woking goal, but the hosts held on to book their name in the 4th qualifying round draw- but only just.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.