Late drama at the Laithwaite as Cards maintain perfect start. 8th August 2018

 In Recent, WOKING FC

7th AUGUST 2018

                            WOKING   2      ST. ALBANS CITY 1

                         Vanarama National League South  7th August 2018

                                  Attendance:   1,671

                                       Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

A dramatic last ten minutes of the Cards opening home game of the season saw Dowse’s side fall behind, only to pull level through Jake Hyde, and then grab what proved to be the winner, four minutes from time through Ian Gayle.

Both sides went in to todays match having secured victories on the opening day of the season. The Cards left it late to grab all three points against East Thurock after a Max Kretzschmar penalty in the 97th minute was the difference between the two sides. Tonight’s visitors St Albans also grabbed all three points after a last gasp goal from Debutant Dave Didehiou, in a 3-2 victory at home to Hungerford Town.

It was the Cards who were on the front foot with the early exchanges of the contest, forcing St Albans into conceding a handful of corners. The first decent chance of the game fell to Woking and Nicky Wheeler. The winger found himself unmarked in the box and sent in a header that was kicked away by visiting keeper Dean Snedker. City went close to breaking the deadlock three minutes later when a long throw in was hooked of the line by Nathan Collier.

In the 31st minute Max Kretzschmar’s effort was saved by Snedker with the follow up from Jake Hyde blocked as the Cards tried desperately to break the deadlock.  Despite a lot of effort from the hosts, at the break it remained goalless.

Reggie Young- who’s made the initial run that led to the Cards getting a penalty on Saturday- was introduced into the fray in the 55th minute. Young went close to breaking the deadlock ten minutes later following a corner from Kretzschmar with Young’s header across goal a whisker away.  City, who created few chances, should have opened the scoring in the 69th minute when a cross into the back post found the unmarked David Moyo who was unbalanced as he sent a header wide, which he should have done better.

What followed was a crazy six minute spell that saw three goals and a red card. The visitors broke the deadlock in the 80th minute when a curling 25 yard effort from substitute David Moyo flew into the top corner of the net. The Cards responded two minutes later when Jake Hyde’s header beat Snedeker after the ball came of the bar from a Kane Ferdinand header. Minutes later the visitors were reduced to ten men when Ben herd was shown a second yellow card for a foul. Four minutes later Woking had turned the game around when a Jake Hyde cross into the area was parried away by Snedker into the path of Ian Gayle, who calmly slotted the ball home to give the Cards two wins out of two in their opening campaign in National League South.





Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.