Ten men Cards hold on for crucial win. 11th Feb

 In Recent, WOKING FC

10th  FEBRUARY  2018

                                         WOKING  1    CHESTER  0

                       Vanarama National League  Saturday 10th February  2018

                                 Attendance:  1,367

                                     Peter Moore at the Laithwaite Community Stadium

Ten Man Woking held on to record back to back victories for the first time since October, after Josh Staunton’s goal was the difference between the sides.

Woking went into todays game looking to build on their result from two weeks ago when they claimed their first win in 14 games after defeating AFC Fylde at the Laithwaite. Chester, meanwhile found themselves in the bottom four of the table after having won two of their last nine games. The visitor’s financial situation has been well documented, which has already meant some players have had to leave including John McCombe who left the club this week.

Manager Anthony Limbrick made three changes for the Cards with Nathan Ralph, Richard Orlu and Damon Lathrope- making his full debut- all making the starting line up.

The game started in really testing conditions with rain and a swirling wind making it difficult for both sides. The hosts had the first chance of the game when Anthony Cook’s curling effort from a free kick was a whisker away.  The Cards thought they had opened the scoring in the 19th minute when Charlie Carter’s shot was parried by Sam Hornby, Reece Grego-Cox had a simple tap in, only for the goal to be ruled out for offside. Four minutes later the deadlock was broken following a Cook corner swung into the near post, Josh Staunton’s header came of the knee of a Chester defender to nestle into the bottom of the net.  Woking were beginning to insert their authority on the game as they pressed for a second goal with Grego-Cox finding himself one-on-one with Hornby who produced a fine save with his legs to deny the striker.

Woking were reduced to ten men when Matt Young was shown a straight red card for a foul on Oluwaseun Akintunde in the 57th minute. With the man advantage Chester should have drawn level with 12 minutes to go when a long ball over the top fell into the path of substitute Ross Hannah, but he lifted the ball over the bar onto the crossbar from six yards out.

With five minutes of added time shown on the board Nathan Baxter denied Hannah with a fine save. From the resulting counter attack Greco-Cox hit the underside of the bar with Hornby beaten. That was to be the last action of a frantic last few minutes as the Cards held on to record a vital three points.


Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.